Expand all

Student Groups or Organizations

Find a Student Group

There are more than 1,000 student groups and organizations on campus that meet regularly, host programs and events, and provide service to the greater Twin Cities area. GopherLink is the platform for all registered student groups at the University of Minnesota. You can find all student groups, their upcoming events, and their contact information.


Commuter Student Resources & Groups

As a commuter student, it can be tough to find time outside of school, work, and family. Getting involved on-campus is a great way to meet new people, gain skills and enhance your experience at the University of Minnesota.

Join the Commuter Connection

Transfer Student Resources & Groups

Transfer Experience Programs are designed to connect transfer students to others and learn more about resources and leadership opportunities specifically for them.

Transfer Experience Programs

Diversity, Community & Belonging

Website on Diversity, Community, and Belonging

There are many different spaces, organizations, and resources that focus on social identity and navigating college life. Explore what is available across campus and where to find community. 


Student Cultural Centers

Some of the most influential and active student organizations are the 2nd floor cultural centers in the student union. The 2nd floor offers space for studying and community gathering. Each cultural center provides educational opportunities, social connections, and a safe space for their identity group.

Greek Life at the U of M

Membership in a fraternity or sorority is an experience unlike any other in college. Students instantly make a large community smaller and build meaningful relationships that last a lifetime. You join a network that extends far beyond the Twin Cities and engage with leadership development curriculum and programming from the early stages of membership.

Find a fraternity or sorority

"Step outside your comfort zone. Join that sorority/fraternity or organization, take a class that is not related to your major at all, or study abroad to learn more about another culture. No matter what stepping out of your comfort zone means for you, be sure to make the most out of every opportunity thrown your way during your undergraduate career."

- Ellen, first-gen undergrad student

Expand all

Housing On and Near Campus

Housing Options

There are many options for living on- or off-campus. There is currently one living, earning community specifically for first-year first-generation college students. 

The Firsts - Living Learning Community

The Firsts is a living-learning community (LLC) for first-generation college students to live in a close-knit and dynamic community with peers committed to academic success at the University of Minnesota. This LLC is designed to promote academic success by providing holistic support and cultivating an encouraging community. The Firsts assists in family and community connections and aids in navigating the worlds of school and home while building honor and visibility among the diverse UMN first-generation community.

Transportation on Campus

How to get a transit pass on campus, information about the public transportation systems and parking on campus, and the campus indoor walking tunnels during the winter

Campus Buses

All campus buses are free and come equipped with wheelchair lifts and bike racks. You can track the U of M busses with the Gopher Trip Bus App.

Public Transportation: Metro Transit

Light Rail Green Line: Students can ride between the three the Metro Light Rail Green Line stops on campus for free with the Campus Zone Pass.

U-Pass: Unlimited Transit Pass: If you need to get further than the free campus buses can take you, you can purchase a U-Pass, a deeply-discounted metro-area transit pass for students. 

GopherWay Walking Tunnels and Skyways

The Gopher Way is your way to navigate through the tunnels and skyways that connect many buildings on campus. These are especially useful it the winter to get out of the cold.

Parking on Campus

Student Contract Parking Lottery: Need to park a car on campus? Student parking contracts, that are valid 24 hours a day/7 days a week, are available each semester through an online lottery. 

ParkingPublic parking is available at facilities and meters throughout the Twin Cities campus.

Expand all

Taking Care of Your Body

General Health Care

Boynton Health is open to all students for a variety of health care services and student wellness programs for nutrition, stress management, addiction recovery and sexual health. Your health insurance and student services fee cover the cost of your care, but there are some exceptions. Call ahead and inquire about prices and what is covered if you want to have a clear picture before your appointment.

Boynton Health

Nutritious U Food Pantry

Nutritious U Food Pantry provides fresh and healthy foods to any student for free. Any student can visit the food pantry, no proof of need is necessary. The food pantry is open on the second floor of the Memorial Union from 12-6 PM on two days a month. The website lists the specific dates and provides additional food and nutrition resources.

Nutritious U Food Pantry

Recreation & Wellness Center

The University of Minnesota Recreation and Wellness Center on the East Bank Campus serves all students and the greater University community by enriching the campus experience and encouraging lifelong wellbeing. 

Recreation and Wellness Center

Discounted Apartment and Commuter Meal Plans

University Dining Services has discounted meal plans for students living off-campus and commuter students! With a Meal Plan, you get easy access to breakfast, lunch or dinner meals in four residential restaurants (Bailey, Pioneer, Sanford, and 17th Ave Halls).

Discounted Apartment and Commuter Meal Plans

Taking Care of Your Mind

In crisis?

Call 911 if you or someone you know is having a mental health crisis. Find other mental health resources for urgent needs and ongoing mental health care options.

Student Counseling Services (SCS)

Student Counseling Services provides private and confidential counseling and is offered for a variety of concerns, including personal issues, academic difficulties, and career uncertainty. 

Student Counseling Services 

Support Groups at Boynton

Group therapy sessions are a safe, confidential space to share and explore concerns and learn new strategies for overcoming challenges. Check out the group specifically for first-gen students. 

Boynton Support Groups

Let's Talk

Let’s Talk is a program that provides informal virtual and in person drop-in consultations for U of M students throughout the academic year. No appointment is necessary, so you can drop in during the scheduled times.

Let’s Talk is not a substitute for formal counseling and does not constitute mental health treatment, but counselors can listen to specific problems, provide support, help explore solutions and give information about other resources.

Let’s Talk

YOU @ U of MN

Find tips and tools for everything from your mental and physical health, to friendships and finding balance. It’s all here at UMN.

YOU @ U of MN

Learn to live

Learn to Live is an online tool that offers confidential, free programs to help with stress, depression, social anxiety, and insomnia. Enter code "UMN" for access.

Learn to Live

CARE Program

The Care Program provides brief case management, support, and resources to students as they navigate the University and pursue their academic and personal goals.

Care Managers operate in a non-clinical capacity and do not provide formal counseling or therapy to students, but we connect students to the appropriate resources as needed.

Care Program

Online Self-Assessment

The University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus offers an online screening for depression, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, generalized anxiety, post-traumatic stress, and alcohol.

This free screening is provided so that you may find out—in a few minutes—whether or not a professional consultation would be helpful to you.

Start the Screening

Support for Victims of Sexual Assault/Harassment and Relationship Violence

The Aurora Center for Advocacy and Education provides a safe and confidential space (in Appleby Hall) for students, faculty, and staff who are victims/survivors or concerned people of sexual assault, relationship violence, sexual harassment, or stalking.

Aurora Center for Advocacy and Education

Stress Management

Pet Away Worry & Stress (PAWS)

Interact with registered therapy animals—dogs, bunnies, cats and Woodstock the Therapy Chicken—at Boynton Health Service. PAWS is a joint collaboration with the University's Animal-Assisted Interactions (AAI) program at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum and Boynton Health Service.

PAWS Therapy

Sign up for a Stress Check In

Stress Check-ins are designed for all students - undergraduate, graduate, and international students. Schedule a check-in to talk through stress in your life, come up with solutions, and connect with campus resources.

Stress Check-ins

Mindful Mondays Sessions

Drop in for a Mindful Monday session to unwind your mind with mind-body skills, meditation and light stretching.

Mindful Mondays

Disability Services and Accommodations

Disability Resource Center

The Disability Resource Center (DRC) serves as a central resource for students to address barriers to access on our campus. The Student Access team works with students to identify barriers and, in collaboration with faculty and staff, determine reasonable accommodations to reduce them.

Disability Resource Center


An accommodation is a modification that is made to a course, program, service, job, activity, or facility that minimizes disability-related barriers to allow equitable access while maintaining the essential requirements.

The following are some examples of accommodations:

"I know it can be scary, but don’t be afraid to ask for help. It can seem like you’re all alone, but there are so many people at the U who are here to help you no matter what it is. There are resources, friends, professors, and your advisors. If you need help, ask for it."

- Kayla, first-gen undergrad student

Expand all

Conflict Related to Academic and Student Life

Student Conflict Resolution Center (SCRC) is a confidential, impartial, and informal resource that helps students with University-related problems and concerns. The SCRC website also has Do-It-Yourself resources that address some of the most common student concerns including course success, roommate conflicts, and stress management. The typical problems and concerns include:

  • Grading and instructional complaints
  • Financial and billing conflicts
  • Academic appeals
  • Academic progress issues
  • Other campus-based problems or concerns

Legal Advice and Representation

Student Legal Service (SLS) provides legal services, representation, and education to students. This is the place to go if you have any legal concerns or problems including landlord/tenant issues (lease reviews, disputes with management, etc.), criminal law (most misdemeanors), immigration questions, or consumer or credit problems.

There are other services offered, too, including a notary public. SLS also offers a variety of programs that cover topics such as interacting with police, business start-up, career mentoring, and tenancy law.

Immigration Response Team (IRT)

Immigration Response Team (IRT) provides support to all students affected by immigration policy changes. The team also provides outreach to the greater University community on the impact of executive orders and other policy changes, immigration regulations, and issues connected with DACA and immigration status. 

For the regular updates about immigration policy changes, context around recent headlines and updates, sign up to receive emails.